Introduction The items that differentiate an ordinary website from e-commerce one are a shopping cart, product pages, and the checkout process. So, to create an e-commerce site, you need the plugins that create custom product pages and have shopping cart functionality thus enabling buyers to add products to a cart. Additionally, the plugin must sync up the products on the cart with a payment platform allowing it to accept payments and match up the payments with the goods bought. Read on for a complete guide on how to make an eCommerce website in WordPress.
Step 1. Install WordPress
Install WordPress on your hosting account. This stage involves clicking on the WordPress icon and following the on-screen instructions. The steps are clearly explained and hence easy to follow. Once complete, you will end up with a clean WordPress website. The next stage is to convert it into an entirely functional ecommerce website with the help of a suitable plugin.
2. Identify and install a plugin
Navigate to Dashboard, then to Plugins, and finally to Add New. WordPress provides various ways to create an e-commerce for different markets and types of products. In fact, the main benefits of mastering how to make an eCommerce website in WordPress are the presence of a wide range of plugins and themes that you can utilize.
Below are some of the plugins that you can use are;
#1. WooCommerce This plugin supports over a million active installs explaining why it covers a significant fraction of the total online shopping market. It is also suitable for selling physical, digital and affiliate products.
Its other benefits are;
• It provides product variations, different shipping options, and payment gateways.
• It integrating well with virtually any theme • The plugin is also easy to set up; you only install and configure; the plugin will cater for everything e-commerce related
#2. IThemes Exchange Existing as a free version within the WordPress directory, this plugin allows you to start creating an online store without spending money. It also supports two payment gateways, one of which is Stripe, the gateway that other alternatives offer at an extra cost. Some of its benefits are;
• It allows you to sell digital and tangible products
• It performs exemplary at creating membership websites (the plugin was the first to introduce this feature)
• It is amazingly simple to use; the onboarding process easy and fast.
#3. WP e-commerce
WP e-commerce contains all you need in online shop plugin; shipping options, product management, a shopping cart, and checkout. Additionally, SSL is integrated while all the basic functionality is available free of charge. Its other benefits are;
• The plugin is fully customizable to your theme and site.
• It comes with built-in marketing tools such as discounts and coupons
• It contains many attractive WordPress themes that you can use to give your online shop an outstanding appearance.
3. Add products For your online store to function appropriately, you need some goods, services or download in the data base. So, add each product that you intend to sell; specify the product name, provide a description and create a central item section. The first time you add products using the plugin, some handy tooltips that explain the purpose of each field, pop up. Once you’ve added all the goods, hit the Publish button.
4. Choose a theme A theme determines the final appearance of the products you added in the preceding step. Note that you must add products first so you can have a pictorial presentation of the products in your data base. You are, therefore, best positioned to ensure everything in your online store look right.
Knowing how to make an eCommerce website in WordPress paves the way for the realization of several benefits of establishing an e-commerce as opposed using the existing options. Some of the advantages include the absence of ongoing fees, customizability, and availability of many tutorials on how to setup and optimize your website. Use the above guide and realize financial benefits of using a WordPress eCommerce site.